Mounting the VFS
The OpenCms VFS and hence all files located therein can be accessed via the workplace's explorer.
The explorer has several advantages:
- it allows the use of all "special" features of the VFS
- editing XML files opens the content editor
There are also some inconveniences, though:
- You have to leave your usual work environment.
- You are tied to the source code editor shipped with OpenCms.
- You cannot keep several files open for editing, copying and comparing them.
- You have to change sites when changing files in the root site and viewing changes in web page.
To overcome these limitations, OpenCms allows you to mount the virtual file system to the local file system of your computer. There are three ways available to mount the VFS–WebDAV, CMIS, and Network share access. WebDAV is the currently recommended way.