Device dependent design means that for several different devices you provide webpages that fit to the device's capabilities. Display size is of special interest and thus usually we can roughly devide the devices in three classes:
- mobile phones
- desktop computers.
To get a pleasant presentation for your website on all of these devices, you can:
- build several websites with different styles, one for each device
- adjust styles according to the device or use a framework for responsive design that does the job and stay with only one website.
Both of the approaches have there pros and cons. Building several websites will give you complete freedom for adjustments, but increases production and maintenance effort a lot. Adjusting only the design of the webpage will decrease maintenance effort but cause high traffic (every content is delivered to every device), make formatters complex and does not let the content editor choose which contents are shown on which device.
OpenCms adds some of the benefits of several independent device specific websites to the approach of one website with several designs:
- Formatters can be chosen device dependent
- Templates can be adjusted (not only in style) device dependent
- Content managers can control which contents are delivered to which device
- Traffic is reduced, since not all contents have to be delivered and the formatting is also already (partly) done on the server-side
The main feature for device dependent representation are template context providers. They do not only provide you with the just listed benefits, they also allow you to preview your webpages on various devices.